Cao Bang Wonderlands Tour
Cao Bang Wonderlands Tour
Cao Bang, Viet Nam
|TARGET MARKET||People with good level of fitness who are capable of riding a mountain bike on unsealed surfaces. Stages include intermittent steep climbs and descents and daily distances up to 60km.|
|TRAIL TYPES RIDDEN||Mix of dirt, rocky and sealed roads. Some sections of hardpacked single trails.|
|TOUR LENGTH||4 days 3 nights|
|TOTAL CYCLING DISTANCE||155 km|
Our unique biking tour of North Vietnam takes place around the huge limestone karsts of Cao Bang province, riding quiet back roads through rice paddies and past amazing waterfalls and getting up close and personal with the Nung ethnic minority who are the predominant inhabitants of this region. You’ll get an insight into the traditional lives, friendly tribes and exotic landscapes of north-east Vietnam, on a cycling adventure that delivers great back-country riding across this stunning and picturesque area of North Vietnam. Cao Bang truly is a wonderland of sights, cycling and culture not to be missed.
- See first-hand the making of traditional handicrafts at local craft villages.
- Experience the homestay hospitality of the local Nung people.
- Enjoy stunning cycling routes along majestic rivers, over small mountain passes and through rice fields.
- Ride to the most remote parts of Vietnam, passing close to the Chinese border.
|05:30||Depart Helvetas Office (Kim Ma)|
|05:45||Pickup from Highland Coffee Fivimart on Vo Chi Cong (next to overpass, southern end of Nhat Tan Bridge).|
|05:50||Travel from Ha Noi – Phia Thap commune (Bus)|
|15:00||20km bike ride – Paper Village and warm-up loop homestay location|
|19:00||Dinner at homestay|
|Overnight accommodation: Phia Thap Homestay|
After arriving at the homestay we’ll enjoy a home-cooked local lunch and then have the opportunity to warm up your cycling legs with a 20km loop around the local area.
On this route we head to the paper village along a 5km sealed path where we will see the local villagers making traditional paper. We return to the homestay along a 15km loop of sealed roads and dirt trails (with a climb or two).
Day 1 Route Map and Elevation Profile
|06:00||Breakfast and Day 2 activity briefing.|
|07:00||Travel from Phia Thap commune to Trung Khanh (Bus)|
|08:00||Depart Trung Khanh on bicycle.|
|11:00 – 12:00||Lunch|
|13:00 – 14:00||Continue on route to Ban Gioc Waterfall|
|Overnight accommodation: Lung Niec Homestay|
- Drinks and snacks are available for purchase from a number of local shops in the villages along the route.
It’s the biggest day of the tour distance-wise. We start with a 50min bus ride to the town of Trung Khanh, leaving behind most of the busy highway that goes to the Chinese border. From Trung Khanh we ride through amazing river scenery and passing rice paddies and water wheels and (on a clear day) spot the Chinese border in the distance. We then turn south-east along sealed and dirt roads to the amazing Ban Gioc waterfall, stopping for lunch along the way. After a short trip back up the hill you can spend your afternoon free time checking out the temple located close to the homestay or exploring the local area at your leisure.
Day 2 Route Map and Elevation Profile
|06:00||Breakfast and Day 3 activity briefing|
|07:00||Travel by bus from Lung Niec to Trung Khanh|
|08:00||Depart Trung Khanh by bicycle|
|11:00 – 12:00||Arrive at Quang Uyen and lunch|
|13:00||Depart Quang Uyen for Phia Thap homestay|
|Overnight at Phia Thap homestay|
Today we say goodbye to the waterfall region and head back to Trung Khanh by bus, where we jump back on our bicycles and ride country roads back to Quang Uyen for our lunch stop After lunch we ride the Northern Loop back to the Phia Thap homestay.
In the afternoon you can use free time to relax or hike up to the lookout behind the homestay.
Day 3 Route Map and Elevation Profile
|06:00||Breakfast and Day 4 activity briefing.|
|07:00||Depart Phia Thap homestay by bicycle.|
|10:00 – 11:30||Arrive at Day 4 stage finish line|
|11:30 – 13:00||Arrive at Quang Uyen|
|11:30 – 13:00||Shower and Lunch in Cao Bang City|
|19:30||Arrive back in Hanoi (exact time depending on traffic)|
This 30km ride along dirt and sealed roads will take us back towards Cao Bang city. Starting out with a breathtaking climb over a small mountain pass and then a long rocky descent, this is a great way to finish a 4-day tour in the area. We finish this last day of riding at the intersection of the back road and the highway, where we will meet the bus and be transported to Cao Bang for lunch before heading back to Hanoi.
Day 4 Route Map and Elevation Profile
Print your scheduled
|Group of 6-8 people:||US$ 500 per person|
|Group of 9-10 people:||US$ 410 per person|
|Group of 11-12 people:||US$ 358 per person|
This tour is applicable for group from 06 persons only.
The deadline for inscription is 06 march and the deadline for payment is 10 march. A deposit may be accepted.
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation in homestays
- Professional biking English speaking guide
- Private A/C vehicle to transfer and truck to carry the bikes
- Water bottle on every biking days
- First-aid kit
- Entrance & Sightseeing fees
- Service charges and taxes
- Travel insurance
- Visa process and stamp fees
- Tips and gratitude
- Personal expenses (Softdrinks/alcohol, laundry, items purchased from craft village,…)
- Excluded meals ($10/person/meal)
- Others not mentioned in the program
- Bike hire (can be organised at an additional cost of 220,000VND/day (880,000VND/4 day)
General terms and conditions
We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation) for trips to Vietnam.
Saving energy & water
Code of behaviour
- Travel with respect and genuine desire to learn about the local people and culture, encourage villagers pride to maintain their traditions.
- Respect holy, cultural, archeological places; do not remove any artifacts, do not touch or move religious objects
- Ask for permission before you take pictures or make video tape in the village.
- Avoid activities that are not fit for ecotourism such as singing karaoke, playing gambling, playing loud music...
- You could buy local products to help improve the lives of local people.
- Avoid giving gift directly to children which may encourages begging.